Ask yourself this question.
Should our professions define who we are as a person, should our careers, our job, define us as human being?
Should we always have our professional caps on? What if I want to shut off and shut down from it all, am I allowed?
No we should not always have our professional caps on. There is a time and a place for everything. I am especially turned off by people who are in a social setting and feel the need to discuss their career, this does not define someone, although, it’s an important part, it’s certainly not the only part of making up the whole person. Hey nothing is wrong with being passionate about your career; however, it should be done in moderation. On several occasions, when being introduced to someone, think about it, one of the first question asked of you is, where do you work? Followed by, what do you do? Then, what’s the name of the company you’re with? Depending on the answer we receive, we tend to judge a person and form an opinion about them almost immediately and not really taking the time to get to know the person. Think about it. Why not lead with things like, what they do outside of work, such as hobbies, their passions, the challenges, their families anything along those lines rather than their careers? Honestly, I have always been attracted to people who are very humble and appreciate the simple things in life. People need to realize at the end of the day, it’s all about the person’s character and morals. I prefer to be associated with someone with great morals and character than someone who has status and lacks either of those qualities. I will close by quoting a blog I read by Kelly “We place tremendous personal value a career, a job, or a title. Funny thing is there is so many beautiful things in live to value. I want to start valuing people for things beyond their career.” Amen.
ReplyDelete